Annual Report & Statistics
Bossier Parish Police Jury 2017 Annual Report
Regarding Bossier Parish Libraries (page 17)
In the not too distant past, patrons would "check it out" when they found a must-read book or magazine from the standard collections lining shelves of your typical local library. Today, there's nothing typical about the services offered at the Bossier Parish Library and its seven branches located throughout the parish. There are still books, books, and more books, but there's so much more to be checked out.
From launchpads and laptops and WiFi hotspots, to digital offerings galore, the Bossier Parish Library is taking its mission of community service into cyberspace with cutting edge technology that brings the library to patrons of all ages.
- Kick it into OverDrive and enjoy free eBooks and audiobooks from the library's digital collection directly to your mobile device or tablet. All that's needed is Internet connection and a library card. Items may be borrowed for two weeks and there's no risk of overdue fines. At the end of the borrowing period, items conveniently expire from your device.
- Plenty of Hoopla is waiting for library cardholders. Now it's a snap to instantly borrow free digital movies and music every hour of every day. Hoopla offers Hollywood blockbusters and best-selling authors are easily accessed. Again, returning all items is simple and convenient. A library card, Internet access, and a smart device are all that's needed.
- Flipster is a digital newstand for a huge collection of the most popular magazines. No cluttered coffee tables with Flipster and the service is free on computer, mobile device, or tablet.
- Kids can bring their favorite books to life with Tumblebooks. Youngsters take existing picture books and add animation, sound, music, and narration and develop their own electronic picture book. It's as simple as Internet access.
- Dear Reader makes it easy for busy people to find time to read their favorite selections. Select a category and receive one to two chapters via your email and discuss the passages in online book clubs.
Dedicated parish library staff is keeping up with advances in technology for a growing base of library patrons in a rapidly growing Bossier Parish. Ways to meet the challenges of delivering information, education, and entertainment are the focus on constant staff involvement and continued training.
While the Bossier Parish Library system is making it easier to cyber transport guests into libraries, the staff is going beyond facility walls and into schools and communities to establish partnerships for study and research. Staffers are also encouraged to become involved in community engagement.
Library staffers set high standards for themselves and the services offered at each branch in the parish. The staff members are also involved in the many programs and special events planned at the various locations.
Please visit the Bossier Parish Central Library and History Center, or any of the branches including Aulds, Benton, East 80, Haughton, Plain Dealing, and Tooke Memorial.