Community Conversations at Bossier Parish Libraries
by Andrea Gilmer, Community Engagement Librarian
For many years now, libraries have satisfied multiple needs for the communities they serve. Not only do they provide a gateway to knowledge in all its many forms (I couldn’t resist that one); they also provide a space for our communities to come together, people from all over our parish can meet and mingle in a library and start a conversation. I could go on about what else a library can be for the community, but this week I’m highlighting this second purpose of libraries: to provide a space for conversation.
On Thursday, November 8th at 6:00p.m. our Central Branch will host a program called “Talk: A Community Conversation”. The topic of that conversation? Healthy communication and engagement between citizens and law enforcement; an apropos topic for our times, I must say.
Over the course of the evening, Angie Thomas’ applicable novel The Hate U Give will be reviewed by attendees, drawing parallels between the pages of her book and the current societal occurrences nationwide. This powerful novel will be utilized in a guided conversation fostered by Dr. Helen Wise, a professor at LSUS, and members of local law enforcement. Attendees will have the opportunity for an open dialog in which engagement with law enforcement will be explored, and an open exchange of questions and insights will be encouraged.
While this program is geared toward an audience aged thirteen and older, parents are encouraged to attend with their teens, and everyone in the community is welcome to attend. If you have questions about this event or would like further details, please contact our Central Branch for more information.
All library locations will be closed on Monday, November 12th in observance of Veterans’ Day.
Thur., Nov. 1 @ 10:00a.m. - Youth & Yoga, all ages
Fri., Nov. 2 @ 10:00a.m. - Baby Laptime, ages 0-2
Bossier Central 746-1693
Mon., Nov. 5 @ 6:00p.m. - Key Bravo Leadership Seminar, ages 18 and up
Wed., Nov. 7 @ 10:00a.m. - Lapsit Story Time, ages 0-2
Fri., Nov. 9 @ 11:00a.m. - Cyber Security, ages 18 and up (registration required)
East 80 949-2665
CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS – Thank you again for bearing with us! We’re working on the parking lot now and adding an access ramp to the front door to make the branch accessible from both entrances.
Sun., Nov. 4 @ 2:00p.m. - Family Fun Science, all ages
History Center 746-7717
Thur., Nov. 1 @ 6:00p.m. - Pages Past Book Club: The Radium Girls by Kate Moore, all ages
Plain Dealing 326-4233
Sat., Nov. 3 @ 3:00p.m. - Teen Mentoring: Vision Board, ages 13-17
Tues., Nov. 6 @ 11:30a.m. - Genealogy!, ages 18 and up
- Ant-Man & the Wasp starring Paul Rudd & Evangeline Lilly (DVD)
- Ask Me No Questions by Shelley Noble (Fiction; Book)
- Game of the Gods by Jay Schiffman (Fiction; Book)
- The Girl with the Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano (Children’s Fiction; Book)
- In the House in the Dark of the Woods by Laird Hunt (Fiction; Book)
- Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami (Fiction; Book)
- Leave No Trace starring Thomasin McKenzie & Ben Foster (DVD)
- Skyscraper starring Dwayne Johnson (DVD)
- What if it’s Us by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera (YA Fiction; Book)
- When the Men were Gone by Marjorie Herrera Lewis (Fiction; Book)
- Winnie’s Great War by Lindsay Mattick & Josh Greenhut, art by Sophie Blackall (Children’s Fiction; Book)
- Winterhouse by Ben Guterson (Children’s Fiction; Book)
- Wrecked: An IQ novel by Joe Ide (Fiction; Book)