Veterans and Homelessness
by Andrea Gilmer, Community Engagement
We’re working to raise awareness about our Veterans. To this end, the Historical Center will be hosting a panel discussion focused on the topic of veterans and homelessness on Saturday, November 18th at 1:00pm. Find our event on Facebook.
Mr. Lee A. Jeter, Sr., Executive Director of the Fuller Center for Housing of Northwest Louisiana and 20-year USMC Veteran, Retired, will act as moderator for the panel which will consist of representatives from different wars in modern U.S. history. The dialog will comprise a comparison of responses to needs of veterans returning from conflicts, and how our community is currently responding.
In addition, during the week leading up to this event, from November 11th – 18th, the Historical Center will be accepting donations of personal care items for veterans. Items will be given to the Veterans Programs at Volunteers of America, North Louisiana to be distributed. Those items most needed are: razors, shaving cream, shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and deodorant. Any donation you are able to make is greatly appreciated!
Building a Better Bossier!
Make a note:
All Bossier Library Locations will be closed on Friday, November 10th in observation of Veteran’s Day.
Aulds Branch 742-2337
Mon., Nov. 20, from 3:45-4:45pm, ages 6-12 – STEM/STEAM
Tues., Nov. 21, from 10-11am, ages 0-5 – Family Story Time
Benton Branch 965-2751
Sat., Nov. 18, from 10:30-11:45am, ages 0-5 – Saturday Story Time
Bossier Central 746-1693
Mon., Nov. 13, from 5:30-7pm, ages 18 and up – Adult Bingo (History Center Meeting Room)
Tues., Nov. 14, from 10am-12pm, ages 0-5 – Children’s Story Time (History Center Meeting Room)
East 80 Branch 949-2665
Tues., Nov. 14, from 4:30-5:30pm, all ages – Family Story Time
Thur., Nov. 16, from 6:30-7:30pm, focused on seniors – Medicare Seminar
Haughton Branch 949-0196
Mon., Nov. 13, from 10-11am, ages 18 and up – Bingo!
Mon., Nov. 20, from 10-11am, ages 18 and up—Crafty Mondays
Plain Dealing Branch 326-4233
Tues., Nov. 21, from 4-5pm, ages 13-17 – After-School Game Day
Tooke Branch 987-3915
Thur., Nov. 30 at 10a.m., ages 0-5—Story Time
- The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
- A Nest of Vipers by Andea Camilleri
- The Nowhere Girls by Amy Lynn Reed (YA Book)
- One for Sorrow: a ghost story by Mary Downing Hahn
- One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake
- Origin: a novel by Dan Brown
- Spinning by Tillie Walden (YA Graphic Novel)
- To Be Where You Are: Mitford Series, Book 14 by Jan Karon
- Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass) by Sarah J. Maas
- Two Kinds of Truth (A Harry Bosch Novel) by Michael Connelly (Large Print)
- What is it all but Luminous: Notes from an Underground Man by Art Garfunkel (Book/eBook)
- 1001 GED Test Practice Questions by Stuart Donnelly (eBook)
- Unbelievable: My Front Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur
- The Apparitionist: A Tale of Phantoms, Fraud, Photography, and the Man Who Captured Lincoln’s Ghost by Peter Manseau
- The Small Busniness Start-Up Kit: A Step-by-Step Legal Guide by Peri Pakoo
- Soonish: Emerging Technologies That’ll Improve and/or Ruin Everything by Kelly Weinersmith
- The Soviet Night Witches: Brave Women Bomber Pilots of World War II by Pamela Dell
- The Myth of Race: The Troubling Persistence of an Unscientific Idea by Robert Wald Sussman
- William Williams Documents Ellis Island Immigrants (Defining Images) by Rebecca Rowell
- I Will Find You: Solving Killer Cases from My Life Fighting Crime (Homicide Hunter) by Joe Kenda (eBook)